Another Cowl….




I love a good challenge. I try and choose to do things that will not only challenge me, but also teach me something new. That is the same with knitting. When choosing a new pattern to do, I try and pick something that I know I can accomplish, yet has a few different techniques that I could learn.

That is why I chose Tuesday Night Cowl by Susan Pierce Lawrence. You can download the pattern from www.ravelry.com. There were two new techniques I learned: the provisional cast on and the Kitchener stitch.

I have to admit that I was ready to abandon the pattern from the start. I searched YouTube for videos on the provisional cast on As there  are multiple approaches for the cast on. Besides it taking me three hours to finally grasp the concept of it, I started the cowl 5 times before I got it right!  I would get the right amount of stitches on and then after a few rows I ended up with extra stitches. So annoying! This is the video from YouTube that was the most helpful: htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCYXM-39qA.

So glad I stuck with it. I love the way it turned out. I did not stick with the gauge and needle size suggested in the pattern. My twin brother had given me 2 skeins of Rowans Alpaca Chunky yarn in pigeon that I really wanted to use; it is extremely soft and warm -  ideal for a cowl. I used US size 13 needles with it.

The Kitchener stitch was must easier to learn. Here is the video I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i5JwEReW0. The video is from Webs’ channel. If you haven’t heard of Webs, check them out at www.yarn.com. They have a huge selection on everything you could want for knitting, crocheting, and spinning. And being a New England girl, Webs is right in the Berkshires in MA. One day I will make a road trip there, because I heard their location is amazing.  

So here is the finished project. I just love it and it is perfect for the cold New England Winters. As it looks like the snow and cold temps will continue, I am sure I will get plenty of use for it in March.



No comments