Sticky Sweet



I love baking yeast breads. There is something very therapeutic about it. All that kneading and pounding - was a great way to relieve stress. J I also love the smell of yeast bread when it is baking. It brings me back to my childhood. There used to be a Nissen Bread factory right in Worcester, MA (for you non-locals it’s pronounced “Wuster”).  As you drove on I-290,  the aroma would beckon you to stop at the factory store. My mom used to take us there quite often and that fresh-bread smell inside the store was even better than from the highway above. Unlike the bread that’s been sitting on grocery store store shelvess, the baked goods there were still warm!! My brothers and I would get back in the car and break right into the loaves!!!

Since my oldest son has become gluten-free, yeast baking has seemed to become a thing of the past. Anyone who has tried gluten-free baking knows that it’slike a chemistry experiment - and 9 times out of 10 it blows up in your face. 

I have found a miracle product, Cup 4 Cup GF Flour (keep an eye out for a future review on this product); however, it is meant for quick breads and cookies, not for yeast products. I have been using this product for over a year and its worth its weight in gold- which is a good thing as it costs almost as much as a gold bar! Williams Sonoma sells it for $19.95 for 3lbs, I have found it at a regional grocery store, Wegmans, for $15.99. But believe me it is worth it!!

So even though the product is not intended for yeast baking I thought I would give it a try, and boy, I was not disappointed. I made the Cinnamon Bun Bundt Cake from Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cinnamon-Bun-Bundt-Cake-51196640). I followed the recipe to the tee and merely substituted the flour with the Cup 4 Cup. It was delicious.  The bread was nice and tender and the top of the cake had the sticky, sweet glaze to it.

I have found the perfect breakfast for special mornings!!! I can’t wait until Easter morning and have the boys wake up to that heavenly fragrance!!

No comments