Gluten Free Gooey Mac and Cheese



If you asked me what my perfect night in is, it would be a Meg Ryan movie marathon and gorging myself on Mac and Cheese. Since I don’t know what chemicals they stick in those powdery mixes, I don’t do that boxed stuff. 

I much prefer the creamy, homemade dish. I love how versatile it is. You can take a basic recipe and throw in ham and peas, chicken and broccoli, or if you want to make it  fancy, you can add lobster. Never mind all the different cheeses that can change the texture and flavor of the meal.

When my oldest son was placed on a gluten free diet three years ago, cooking became very restrictive.  Now I look back and find the increase in variety of gluten free foods sold in stores to be amazing. Our family has tried several different gluten free pastas and have found them, well, for lack of a better word, gross. Either they were mushy or grainy or had just an odd taste. That is until we discovered Tinkyada Pasta. It’s a rice pasta, which holds its shape perfectly and tastes exactly like regular pasta.


Once I found the perfect pasta, I created the perfect basic Mac and Cheese recipe. Hope you enjoy!!!



2 TBSP of butter
2 TBSP gluten free flour (I use Cup 4 Cup)
2 ½ Cups of milk (I used 1%)
2 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tsp of Dion Mustard (I use whole grain mustard from Trader Joes)
1 Package of Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice elbows
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to directions on package.


In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, cook butter and flour together creating a light-colored rue. Then add milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat and whisk nonstop until milk thickens. Add cheese and mustard and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine pasta in sauce in 9x13 inch bakeware and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

No comments