Christmas Candy



This time of year always has me reminiscing of my childhood Christmases. The cold crisp air that causes a natural flush on your cheeks. The smell of snow in the air with wisps of flakes scattered around. 

One of my favorite things during Christmas was visiting my grandmothers. They were so different but yet both so warm and caring. One of the things they differed on was there Christmas decor and treats. My Mémère's tree was always adorned her tree with the 1950's vintage glass ornaments with colored lights and there were always ribbon candy in a bowl next to it. On Christmas Eve my brothers and I would sneak into the living room while the adults were talking at the kitchen table and scope out the presents under the tree while sneaking some of that delicious candy.  

My Grammy on the other hand decked out her tree with white lights and Scandinavian style ornaments with a straw angel to top it. She always had two jars of candy. One with lemon drops (as a Harry Potter fanatic I think she would have gotten on well with Dumbledore) and the other jar was butter mints. Those were my favorite. 

When I saw in the latest issue of Southern Living magazine a recipe for them I know I had to give them a try. Mine didn’t look as pretty as the ones in the issue but they were delicious. I will definitely be making another batch before Christmas. 



No comments