Keeping Toasty Warm

One of the amazing aspects of going part time is that I am able to be more involved in my children’s after-school activities.  About two to three times a year the school provides superb after school enrichment classes. The programs range from Karate and Zumba, sciences programs and crafts.

I was so excited I was chosen be a volunteer in the crochet class. While I have been knitting for the past few years, I have never learned how to crochet. Now was the time! I hopped right on YouTube and started learning. My first project was a bit ambitious but my son was thrilled with the Pikachu hat I made for his Halloween Costume.   While it is not perfect, I could do better now, I thought I did a decent first job.






Since then I have made several other hats and a couple throw blankets. This past week I have been cranking out the ear warmers.

With trying to lead a healthier life style, Lego and I started the C25K program. (There is a free app for your IPhone.)  Because of the cold New England weather I needed something to protect my ears. I hate wearing hats while running; I find that my head gets too warm with a hat, but I need protection for my ears. Nothing worse then that cold burning sensation from leaving them unprotected. The ear warmers come in so handy for that. Plus I can use up left over yarn and they are so simple to make. What a perfect combination!

Both ear warmers were crocheted using an H hook and bulky yarn. For the tan one I chained 50 and did a slip stitch in the first chain creating a circle. I then did 5 rows of double crochet, chaining 2 at the end of each round. 50 chains were a little too many and it is a little loose. The black and white one was created chaining 45 and single crocheting 11 rounds with a single chain at the end of each round. This one is the perfect fit.

 

What projects have you been working on? Have you tried a new craft?

No comments